Friday, September 14, 2012

The Perfectionist Trap - Part 3


I have enjoyed your comments and learning that I'm not the only one who struggles with this! If you haven't already, you can read Part 1 and Part 2.

Rejecting the trap of perfectionism does not mean that I give up my pursuit of excellence. Colossians 3:23 says “Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.” Laziness and self-centeredness are both sins.

What it does mean is that I will drop the notion that I can do it all.
  • I will stop making perfection an idol in my heart.
  • I will build a spirit of humility that will seek to serve God and others, not myself.
  • I will appreciate the gifts God has given another woman without feeling frustration because those gifts are not mine. Each of us has a special role in the body of Christ.
  • I will see all I do as worship to God.
Service is a daily, hourly act of worship to God if I am doing it for Him and not for my ego. I don't need to wait until the ceiling fan is dusted and the spices alphabetized to please God through my worship.

God has given me all the time, energy, and resources to accomplish what He has called me to do. When God allows interruptions, such as illness, a new baby, a lonely neighbor, or a broken vacuum cleaner, He has a plan for my time, a plan better than the one I made.

Next time when I'm in a whirl to get more done in less time, maybe I need to ask God to calm my heart long enough to ask myself a few questions.
  • Is my time my own, or does it belong to God?
  • Are my homemaking goals designed to make me feel good, or are they for the purpose of blessing those God has placed in my life?
  • Am I more concerned that my sister-in-Christ is impressed with my homemaking skills, or is encouraged in her walk with the Lord?
  • Is there any pride lurking in my heart that needs to be confessed?
After honestly answering these questions, will I avoid the trap of perfectionism? Maybe. But becoming aware of the trap of perfectionism is only the first step. I will need to adjust my goals and plans to God's plan for my time. For me, that is not a one-time event but a daily struggle to relinquish my goals for more realistic ones. 

Next time, we'll look at some more practical tips.

6 comments :

  1. Oh Gina, those questions are not so easy to answer... I realized that I even feel bad when someone is telling me how beautiful my house and how good my cake is and so on, that I get the feeling, they think I am perfect - And I know I'm not. And when is it only being happy, something went really well - where beginns the pride? But I really thank you to bring my attention to this concern. I will think more about it the next days and pray to God to help me to do this better. Sometimes you are so stuck in your daily work that you don't realize that you are constantly sinning and it is really helpful when someone like you is coming to wake you up and bringing your concentration back to where it shold be.
    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times when we DO manage to do something very well and it is a blessing to others. One thing I have found helps me to keep the pride away is to turn my heart to God and breathe a prayer of "Thank-you God for letting it go so well, or smoothly, or letting it turn out right, etc." It reminds me who gave me the gift and talent and not to take credit to me, myself, and the big I.
      ~Starla

      Delete
  2. I've also found it helpful to ask God what He wants me to let slide, if in fact I don't have time to do everything I think is important to get done. Or even asking my husband - sometimes their perspective is good for us to hear!
    ~Starla

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your struggles, and I know we all struggle with the same things because God says we do. In all that we do it should be for the Lord. Then we never have to worry about whether it is for someone else. Do it all for God.

    I love reading all the posts hear. It makes my heart glad to hear how many love the Lord so much.

    God is so good to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This all comes at an appropriate time for me, as it turns out we are having some sets of company at various times, for various reasons, this very week! Thanks for your sharing, enlightening, and inspiring. Shauna

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails