Monday, October 22, 2012

Cabbage Salad

This time of year I get hungry for cabbage salad. My friend, Jeanne gave me this recipe several years ago and  it has become a favorite. When I serve it to guests I can usually expect to be asked for the recipe. 

I don't always make the salad exactly as written. The last time I threw in some peanuts since I had no other nuts - and it was still good. And I used some chives instead of the green onions. So use what you have!



Cabbage Salad

1/2 head of cabbage, cut finely
4 green onions, diced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 T. sesame seeds
1/2 cup almonds or pecans
2 T. sugar (or honey)
1/2 cup oil
1 T. vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pack Ramen noodles, crumbled

Mix together cabbage, onions, and pepper. Toast sesame seeds and nuts at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Cool. Mix sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and seasoning packet from the Ramen noodles. Mix all salad ingredients together two hours before serving. Save a few noodles out to sprinkle on top for garnish.

6 comments :

  1. I've had this salad before. It's really yummy. I need to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the ladies at our church used to bring this to dinners on the grounds. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do the Ramen noodles soften during the two hours when the salad is sitting?

    (signed) Philippa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a salad almost like this one and it is good. Thank you for the reminder Gina, I need to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone brought this to a church dinner just this past weekend. It was delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails