Tuesday, July 28, 2015

New Recipe for Peach Salsa

Though I had shared a peach salsa recipe back in 2011, for the last few years I've been making this recipe. We like this version better since it has more peaches than tomatoes. I love mixing all the fresh produce with their bright colors.

As soon as I get some fresh peaches and my tomatoes finally start to ripen, I'll be making this recipe. I hope to have enough this year to make it to winter as sometimes this gets all eaten in the first month. It is that good.

I found that it is best to use a firm peach. In one batch I used some very soft ripe peaches and they didn't have as nice of texture in the salsa - though the flavor was still good. But you also don't want peaches that are too hard.

You can use fresh hot peppers instead of dried pepper flakes but after a bad burn from cutting up hot peppers one year, I find dried pepper flakes much easier!


Peach Salsa

9 cups fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
2 T lemon or lime juice (fresh or bottled)
4 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 large sweet green peppers, diced
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
2 cups onions, diced
2 T dried crushed red pepper flakes (or fresh hot peppers if you wish. Add more or less to your desired heat level)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (or use fresh parsley if you don't care for cilantro)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 T honey
2 T clear gel if desired to thicken 

Mix peaches with lime or lemon juice. Combine all ingredients in large pot. Bring to boil over medium heat and cook for five or six minutes. Remove from heat. Ladle into canning jars. Screw on lids and process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Disclaimer: This recipe has not been tested by experts but I consider it safe because of all the high acid ingredients such as peaches and vinegar. Make your own decision at your own risk.

8 comments :

  1. Thanks so much for posting this. I am hoping to get to make it tomorrow. I already have all the ingredients. Also thanks for posting the ketchup and pizza sauce recipes in another post. Our tomatoes are just now starting to come in so I hope to be able to try both these recipes and the bbq sauce too. Thanks again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask what you eat this peach salsa with? ....it looks de lish us! -Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it with corn chips. I also have been known to eat it on scrambled eggs, or burritos, or quesadillas.
      Gina

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! My husband loves peach salsa so I am going to make some of this this weekend. About how many peaches did you use and how many jars (and what size) did this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of peaches depends upon the size of peach - that is why I used weight. The recipe makes about eight pint jars. I sometimes use the smaller half pint jars. They are perfect little gifts.
      Gina

      Delete
  4. Gina, I made the salsa today. It is very good. It did make 8 pts. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. Do you have a tomato salsa recipe that you like? Thanks and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it worked out for you! I do have a tomato salsa recipe that I love. I need to post that next!
      Gina

      Delete
  5. Hi Faith. Do you have to add the hot peppers or pepper flakes? Also, do you peel the peaches?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails