Saturday, October 22, 2016

10 Cool Weather Foods

As soon as the weather starts to cool, my menus change from summer menus to the soups and casseroles that we love. I'm saving the soups for another post, but am sharing links to some of the meals that have been seen on our table recently - or are on the list to have soon.

I wanted to call this "10 Comfort Foods," but right now I'm reading an excellent book by Lysa TerKeurst called Made To Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food. This is not a diet book, but a call to look honestly at our emotions and how they affect our food choices. Even a skinny person like me needs to consider what things I use for comfort instead of turning to God. I highly recommend the book.

Anyway...back to food...we do still need to eat. And here are some ideas for your fall menus.



Cheesy Enchiladas



Our Favorite Lasagna - make three, one for now and two for the freezer.



Chicken Stolzfus - my son helped me make this last night and my family raved



Slippery Pot-Pie




Chicken and Biscuits




Sunday Chicken and Oven Rice




One-Dish Pork Dinner



Hog Maw Casserole - We actually had this twice in the past week.




Three-Cheese Pasta with Sausage and Spinach



Meatball Sub Casserole

What is on your fall menu?

7 comments :

  1. Roasted Butternut Squash Salad!! We love it so much and is a great way to use up the dark leafy greens still growing in the garden, as well as the pile of squash I just picked. The dressing is a silky reduction of Apple cider (also in season) plus a few other tummies. Let me know if you want the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far we have Chicken and Dumplings, homemade that is. I bought frozen chicken and dumpling crockpot thing from Walmart and my family wasn't impressed and neither was I. They begged me to only make the homemade chicken and dumplings from now on. I realized that one should never sacrafice taste for convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamburger soup and a comfy shepherd's pie is definitely on my menu for next week. Mmmm...I love cold weather dishes -- so warm and comfy and easy to prepare for the family!
    ~Carissa
    By the way, I miss your recipes! :) Looking forward for more new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheddar cheese chowder (I double so my husband has lots of leftovers for his hot thermos for work), lasagna, tater tot casserole.... Pretty much anything with cheese! 😉 I want to try a few of yours! Rosene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been using a lot of apples! They go well with pork dishes, as well as chicken. I think tomorrow will be acorn squash stuffed with chicken dressing. Noodles seem to be showing up more.. Another day this week I'm planning beef tips and noodles.I want to try your chicken Stolzfus soon..it sounds so good! Of course, I love anything with pie crust!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be making cowboy soup today... it is just a simple version of hamburger soup with a Mexican flair. I use either hamburger or roast beef, my homemade canned tomatoes, a can of Rotel tomatoes, a can of ranch style beans, diced potatoes, carrots and a can of cream corn, with taco seasoning added to taste... just yummyliciousness :)

    Just found your blog today for the first time, and I'm quite happy to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently made your One Dish Pork Dinner, and it was delicious. I especially like the dimension the apples added to the dish...and the cinnamon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails