Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Lead, Kindly LIght

This morning at 5:30, I laid in bed luxuriating that I didn't have to get up yet. I listened to Ed in the basement directly below our bedroom getting his router started before he left for work. (If you deduce from that sentence that Ed is feeling terrific, you are correct.)

I heard Ed singing snatches of Lead, Kindly Light. This meaningful prayer hymn written after the author had a lengthy illness. Corrie ten Boom's sister, Betsy, sang Lead, Kindly Light while being herded into a German concentration camp. Titanic survivors sang this hymn while in a lifeboat awaiting rescue.

This morning we got word that my newborn nephew had just been airlifted to a larger hospital because of his breathing difficulties. To begin the day praying/singing this song for my brother, his wife, and little baby was a reminder of the blessing of the Lord who is the Light for our journey. (You can follow my brother's Instagram at German Barn Builders for updates on their baby.)

"He that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12

Lead, Kindly Light
by J. H. Newman


  1. Lead, kindly Light, amid th’ encircling gloom,
    Lead Thou me on;
    The night is dark, and I am far from home,
    Lead Thou me on;
    Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
    The distant scene; one step enough for me.
  2. I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
    Shouldst lead me on;
    I loved to choose and see my path, but now
    Lead Thou me on;
    I loved the garish day, and spite of fears,
    Pride ruled my will; remember not past years.
  3. So long Thy pow’r has blest me, sure it still
    Wilt lead me on,
    O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till
    The night is gone,
    And with the morn those angel faces smile,
    Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

7 comments :

  1. One of my very favorite hymns, thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful song! I've never heard of it before...THANKS! Linn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for your nephew and his parents that God will heal His precious baby and give his parents comfort and peace knowing that God is in control. I am still keeping Ed and you in my prayers for complete healing. (Remember, lots of carrot juice has been proven to work against cancer cells.) God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hymm. I had never heard it before. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful song! Praying for your nephew. Our great-nephew, a two month old preemie twin, has been in ICU for a week with the same thing. It has been very scary for everyone. He was on a ventilator, but praise God, he was taken off of it yesterday and is doing fine on his own. He will still be there for a bit to make sure his lungs are good and strong, but he is a miracle! God CAN and God WILL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear/read that your husband is feeling better. PTL!! This hymn; I have never heard of it. Beautiful melody/lyrics... and the story of knowing a bit of its history. Neat. Praying too for your little nephew.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails